This place, now an archaeological site, is located 90 km southwest of Athens, in the northeast of the Peloponnese peninsula.
The acropolis or "high city" of Mycenae is believed to be fortified and around 1500 BC, as evidenced by the passage tombs
dating to the period. Around 1350 BC, the fortifications of the acropolis hill and other nearby were rebuilt in a style
known as Cyclops, because the stone blocks used were so great that in later times they were thought to result the work
of the one-eyed giants called Cyclops. Behind the walls they built monumental palaces.