The Agora of Athens politicians gathered the main buildings in the classical age of the city, which
completed with schools, theaters and stoas (porches). The Panathenaic Way was the main entrance to
campus and crossed from the Acropolis to Kerameikos. The best preserved building is the temple
Hephaestus, the 440 BCE Near him were the Council Chambers and library Panatainos.
The Stoa of Attalos was founded in 138 BCE but was burnt four centuries later. Thanks to
Rockefeller grant magnate, was rebuilt in 1950 and now houses the Agora Museum, showing
some of the elements that were used for the good government of Athens, as Ostraka
(tablets which were voted the exiles) or kleroteria (mechanism used for the election
of judges or juries of the court of justice).
Another attraction of the Agora is the Church of the Holy Apostles, the late Byzantine X
was also rebuilt in the mid-twentieth century. Inside are still some fresh.
The Agora of Athens is in line with the forum in Roman civilization. Agora in Athens had two neighbors
but different: one is the Agora of Athens itself, which dates back to sixth century C. The other, slightly
east, was established under Roman rule. It is situated north of the Acropolis of Athens in the current
Plaka district, near Monastiraki Square. Here we see three photos of the Roman agora.